This twelve-week session is for students who aspire to fully awaken, and can make and keep practice commitments.
What is the Vine of Obstacles?
This online program offers Zen practice under the guidance of Zen teachers Dōshō Port Rōshi, Tetsugan Zummach Osho (see bios here, listen to talks here), and assistant teacher, Ed Gōshin, a longtime student of Katagiri Rōshi and Dōshō.
The Vine is designed for those who are determined to awaken (kensho) and actualize the great matter of life and death (post-kensho training). And who aren’t shy about it.
Our primary avenues for cultivating verification are daily zazen, study, and engagement in the Vine forums and in the world. Students who have some history of in-person practice tend to acclimate best to the Vine environment.
- Zazen: One-hour of daily sitting is recommended, usually focused on the breath or the keyword method of kōan introspection
- Practice meetings with one of the teachers
- Participation in the Engagement forums offer us the important opportunity to engage with each other as a practice group
- Study selected works, emphasizing classical teaching sources, through group study practice
Tuition is $125 a month and includes the study practice on the Vine and weekly meetings with one of the teachers.
Application or more information
Contact Dōshō at email@example.com for more information and for an application.
- one hour of daily zazen five days a week.
- read the daily selection from "Awesome Presence of the Active Buddha" and student reflections
- comment on at least one student reflection each week
- set aside other dharma reading and focus on "Awesome Presence of the Active Buddha"
- find ways to make the teaching alive in your life
“The Heart Sutra is a great torch that lights the darkest road, a swift boat that ferries us across the sea of suffering,” said Fa-tsang.
This course is designed to help you pick up the torch and enter the boat.
We will use Red Pine's The Heart Sutra: The Womb of the Buddhas and Hakuin's Acid Comments on the Heart Sutra.
- Teacher: Dōshō Port